PLEASE NOTE THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED.
Odyssey is a short interactive dance film made by four young refugees that blends traditional dances (in their many iterations/interpretations) with popular gestural dances such as the routines we see on Tiktok today. Mapping the journey of folkloric movements and the journey of popular culture, Odyssey also literally explores the idea of journeying; as these dancers remember the borders they’ve crossed to find themselves here today, dancing their story. The film will be a joyous, colorful tutorial for viewers to copy; join in and dance!! With a reggaeton soundtrack and global dance influences, you won’t be disappointed.
The group will be creating their film throughout Refugee Week, ready for an online screening on the closing day, to which you are warmly invited. Widely available from Sunday 20 June, preview time TBC.
- Original soundtrack, videography and production: Mariam El Sadr
- Choreography and costume: Emma Lewis-Jones
- Media support: Emily Heaven
- Created and performed by: Rahman Bakhtyar, Raheal Boateng, Heven Tilahun and Melika Shabanloo
- With thanks to: NEST (Nottingham Education Sanctuary Team), Trinity Arts Award Access Fund, Womad Festival, Dance4, National Lottery and Refugee Week UK
- Venue: Online
- Hosted by: Nottingham Education Sanctuary Team (NEST), Dance4 and partners
- Notes: Family friendly & interactive