The Vertical Border shines a light on forced migration from northern Central America. Filmed in four countries and utilizing powerful archival images, the documentary reveals how Mexico and the US seek to deter ‘unwanted migrants’, and shows why the search for sanctuary is often elusive. Director Sonja Wolf will join researcher Margaret Ravenscroft for a post-screening panel discussion exploring how the mechanisms of the US-Mexico border speak to architectures of hostility circulating internationally, while considering some of the creative ways in which those architectures can be resisted. Ultimately, The Vertical Border asks a vital question for our age, inviting us to consider how we can imagine a different world defined not by borders but by bridges.
- Venue: The New Art Exchange, 39-41 Gregory Blvd, Nottingham, NG7 6BE
- Hosted by: New Art Exchange
- Cost: Free.
- Notes: Recommended over 16s.
- Booking: Please book via the NAE website: nae.org.uk/whats-on/ or by calling 0115 924 8630.
- Web: nae.org.uk/whats-on/